✅ HOW TO NEVER LOSE YOUR 2FA CODES!

Hi Wirexers :wave:

During activating two-factor authentication (2FA), take simple steps to NEVER* lose access to your Wirex account even if you lose your mobile with the authentication app installed.

W̲h̲a̲t̲ ̲i̲s̲ ̲t̲w̲o̲-̲f̲a̲c̲t̲o̲r̲ ̲a̲u̲t̲h̲e̲n̲t̲i̲c̲a̲t̲i̲o̲n̲ ̲(̲2̲F̲A̲)̲?̲

Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a security process which requires users to provide two means of identification before accessing their account.

The two levels of security are your password and a unique special code generated by an authentication app, installed on your smartphone. The two most popular authentication apps are Google Authenticator and Authy.

If you have 2FA enabled, you will receive a temporary 6-digit code which can be used only for a very short period of time: about 20 seconds. After 20 seconds, the code will expire and a new code will be generated. The requirement to enter both your password and this 6-digit code makes your account better protected. Even if your password is compromised (make sure to never reveal it to anyone!), your account cannot be accessed without direct access to your mobile device.

You can enable 2FA from your Wirex account.

Note: for larger transactions, you may also be asked to confirm via 2FA.

L̲i̲s̲t̲ ̲o̲f̲ ̲r̲e̲c̲o̲m̲m̲e̲n̲d̲e̲d̲ ̲a̲p̲p̲s̲ ̲f̲o̲r̲ ̲2̲-̲F̲a̲c̲t̲o̲r̲ ̲A̲u̲t̲h̲e̲n̲t̲i̲c̲a̲t̲i̲o̲n̲ ̲(̲2̲F̲A̲)̲

You can use any app which supports Google codes for 2FA, below you will find a short list of apps we recommend:

Google Authenticator (GA) - The default app for 2FA. You can download it both from App Store and Google Play. Please check setup instructions in this article.

Authy - An advanced app for 2FA. You can download it for your mobile device from the App Store or Google Play or install a browser extension to your Chrome browser (available for Windows, Mac, Linux). See how to set Authy up here.

All right! Once 2FA is active, 6-digit Authentication Code will be necessary to connect to web app or on a different mobile where the authentication app is installed.
N̲B̲: In this guide, we will only show the procedure with GA. If you need assistance with Authy or another app, don’t hesitate to ask for help!

:rotating_light: Pay attention to points 4 of the procedure below to always be able to access your Wirex account in any circumstance (phone lost, stolen, broken…). Save your QR code and/or your secret code. You can also export your accounts from the authenticator app! Consider doing it as soon as possible. Better to have two backups than zero :wink:.

H̲o̲w̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲c̲o̲r̲r̲e̲c̲t̲l̲y̲ ̲e̲n̲a̲b̲l̲e̲ ̲e̲n̲h̲a̲n̲c̲e̲d̲ ̲s̲e̲c̲u̲r̲i̲t̲y̲ ̲(̲2̲F̲A̲)̲ ̲f̲o̲r̲ ̲m̲y̲ ̲W̲i̲r̲e̲x̲ ̲a̲c̲c̲o̲u̲n̲t̲

How to enable two-factor authentication in the web app:

1. Click your profile icon to open Preferences.
    step1

2. In the Preferences menu, select Security.

3. Click Enable 2FA.

4. You will see a QR code and a secret code. Use the Google Authenticator or Authy app on your phone to scan the QR code or add the secret code.

5. Enter the 6-digit Authentication Code from the app.

6. Сlick Continue.

7. You will receive an email with the confirmation link. Open the email and confirm the 2FA for your account. The link will be active for 15 minutes.

8. You will be redirected to the Login page. Log back into the app.
    You can disable two-factor authentication the same way: Profile > Preferences > Security > Disable 2FA. However, this is an important security feature, and we recommend you keep it enabled to protect your funds.

How to enable two-factor authentication in the mobile app

1. On the Dashboard, tap the gear icon to open Preferences.

2. In Preferences, select Security.

3. Tap Two-Factor Authentication to turn it ON.

4. Follow the instructions in the application:

4.1. Open Google Authenticator or Authy to paste the generated code.

4.2. Enter or paste the code from your 2FA app.

5. You will receive an email with the confirmation link. Open the email and confirm the 2FA for your account. The link will be active for 15 minutes.

6. You will be redirected to the Login page. Log back into the app.

H̲o̲w̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲m̲o̲v̲e̲ ̲G̲o̲o̲g̲l̲e̲ ̲A̲u̲t̲h̲e̲n̲t̲i̲c̲a̲t̲o̲r̲ ̲2̲F̲A̲ ̲c̲o̲d̲e̲s̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲a̲ ̲n̲e̲w̲ ̲p̲h̲o̲n̲e̲

1. Open the Google Authenticator app on your old phone and tap the three dots at the top-right and then Transfer accounts > Export accounts .

2. Select which accounts you need to transfer and then tap Next . Google Authenticator will create a QR code. If there are more accounts, the app may create more than one QR code.

3. On your new phone, install the Google Authenticator app.

4. Tap Get Started > Tap Import existing accounts? at the bottom of the next screen > Scan QR code and point the camera at your old phone’s QR code. All your 2FA codes will appear on your new phone.

5. If you are already using Google Authenticator, tap the three dots > Transfer accounts > Import accounts .

6. Tap Scan QR code to get all your accounts 2FA codes on your new phone. That’s it!

Hope this help article gives you a better understanding of how 2FA works and how to prevent any issues accessing your account. :slightly_smiling_face:

If necessary, do not hesitate to ask your questions here! :+1:

* Unless your account is frozen by Wirex for security reasons. See Why was my account frozen?.

8 Likes

Just bookmarked it.

Thanks!

2 Likes

With pleasure @opmiami :smiley:

Adding account export from Google Authenticator to a new phone.

1 Like